But does it match the sofa?

The Vintage Purse quilt hanging over faux leopard sofa and sculpture

I’ve never really thought about that when I’m making art. When I have a show coming up in a public space, I usually spend a lot of time photographing, measuring, and once even made a gallery dollhouse. I’ve also made pieces and even series of works for specific spaces.

But the odd thing is, I’ve never hung one of my quilts in a living space. So last fall when several of you commented on my blog that I needed to hang art in this space, I’d been meaning to get to it.

Big surprise here! This is what I consider to be one of my mid-size pieces — not really big, and not really small. But here in the studio lobby, it looks kind of over-powering. The sofa’s not small. It’s an antique red-velvet sofa I recovered with faux fur, and it’s a nice size for napping, or fainting, or whatever you want to call a mid-afternoon or middle of a late night crash.

Hmm, guess I’ll have to think about this some more…. maybe after a short faint.

14 Comments

• Reply natalya May 26, 2010 at 7:51 pm

what a wonderful space for that fabulous art! perfect!

• Reply PaMdora May 22, 2010 at 8:41 am

You’re right, I’m not really very good with interior design – it’s something I always struggle with. I guess I was looking at the space more as a staging area to look at my art and think about where I want to go with it, not as a permanent design solution. I’m looking for a gallery hanging system so we can change the art easily because the walls are block, and it’s difficult to change right now.

Thanks for the all the comments and ideas!

• Reply Fitzy May 22, 2010 at 7:48 am

I love all the pieces individually, and I’m ok with the color of the divan/art/floor covering. I’m no designer, but there are lots of hard lines, and am looking for a little texture. Perhaps the wall color will help.

• Reply Dianna May 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I love the space. I think the problem is not the size of the piece as much as the color of the piece. The green might not be quiet enough! Not to seem negative, I love all your work, but something with browns, blues or a touch of red or orange would work also.

• Reply PaMdora May 21, 2010 at 10:37 am

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. It’s kind of fun also, to see the quilt through my office door when I look out to the lobby.

• Reply Jacque May 21, 2010 at 8:06 am

Love the sofa! And I love that quilt! That is a really cool, retro space.

• Reply Stacy Hurt May 20, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I love the way the table in the quilt creates a sort of round top to the couch joining those two elements. (Do you know what I mean? Sort of like a giant headboard on a bed) It really works. Very nicely done!

• Reply PaMdora May 21, 2010 at 10:17 am

Thanks Stacy, I know what you mean. Kind of funny how that works!

I loved feeding the fish on your blog. We used to have a koi pond, and it was very meditative to feed them. Your fish are a lot better colors though!

• Reply MOM May 20, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Where did you get the marvelous coffee table and rug?

MOM

• Reply PaMdora May 21, 2010 at 10:18 am

The coffee table was made back in the 60’s by a local furniture company, but I found it in a flea market. The rug, I can’t remember! I found it rolled up in the back of the studio.

• Reply Barb May 20, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I’ve got to agree with Laura and Trisha – I love it there, and don’t think it’s too large at all. It feels bold and secure and proud to be hangin’ around! Really – I love it.

• Reply Trisha May 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I think it’s the perfect size for the space. But then again, I have a painting about that size on my living room wall, so I may be biased…

• Reply Laura May 20, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I love it! I think it is a perfect size and it actually softens and warms the room up a bit…jmho.

• Reply PaMdora May 21, 2010 at 10:37 am

Thanks Laura, I think the white walls could use some color to help warm it up, but can’t decide what color.